July 06, 2013

Master Bedroom Reveal


There a couple of reasons that I love this room makeover so much.  The first reason is the wall color.  I am not one to shy away from color, but I was even a bit nervous about painting the entire room so dark.  I am so happy that I took the risk and went for it.  It is absolutely dreamy! 

The color is "Newburg Green" by Benjamin Moore.  It is a navy blue with a hint of teal.  My husband was totally down with going dark blue, but was adamant about not wanting anything green.   I was afraid that even mentioning the word green would turn him off despite how perfect the color was.   It happens all of the time.  People get very hung up on the name of the paint color versus the actual appearance of the color. 

In this case, the word "green" may or may not have been interchanged with the word "blue" when revealing the name of the color to him (it was for his own good).




The key to using dark or really bold colors is to balance it with plenty of neutrals.  In this room, I broke up the space with creamy bedding, light colored artwork and champagne curtains.  I raided my storage closet and brought most of these items out of retirement.  This leads me to the second reason that I love this makeover so much.  With the exception of buying a few accessories, I either already owned what is in the room or I made it.  The paint color made a huge impact on its own so the cost of the transformation was minimal.

One of the new to me items in the room is the bench at the foot of the bed. I found it on Craigslist and gave it a fresh coat of Caramel Latte spray paint.  I talk more about that here.


All of the artwork in the room is DIY.  The crown pictures above the lamps were clip art images printed on scrapbook paper.  I already owned the frames.  I think they could be a tad bigger, but not bad for using what I had.



The LOVE letters are from Hobby Lobby.  Three of the letters are now Caramel Latte along with the bench.  The "O" was "Rubbed and Buffed" a soft silver color.  
Thanks Honey We're Home for the idea.  




The chair in the corner now sports a DIY slipcover made out of a drop cloth.  It is really soft and is the perfect neutral color.  I will share how I made it in an upcoming post.



I commissioned two up and coming artists for the pastel works in the corner.   Nobody does abstracts quite as well as these two.


Finally, here is how the room looked before:


And while I wish this photo wasn't so dark....here it is after:


With great risks comes great rewards.  I can't believe I ever second guessed the bold color.  The only problem now is that is really, really hard to get out of bed.  
It just might be a little too cozy and relaxing:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your feedback!
Thanks:)