March 21, 2013

My New Year's Resolution (From Last Year!)

One of my New Year's resolutions for 2012 was to blog more.  Well, here it is 3 months into 2013 and I have barely posted anything at all!  So much for commitment!  

Working as a designer for Nine Design Group keeps me really busy.  Just like any working mom, I am constantly trying to find that perfect balance between work and family (and my DIY addiction).  There doesn't seem to be time for much else.  My poor little blog just kind of fell off my list of priorities.


It is also nearly impossible to sit down at the computer long enough to upload pictures and compose a post without a million interruptions from my crazy little guy!  When I made my New Year's resolution, I did not take into account that 2012 would also be the year of the TERRIBLE two's!  Holy cow, my daughter had us fooled! She has always been the easiest kid.  Little brother isn't necessarily bad, he is just busy, busy, busy all of the time!  He constantly keeps me running! 

My daughter is in 2nd grade so she is at school during the day.  Little brother is home with me most of the time.  Wherever I am, he wants to be too.  He would rather play with a pile of paperclips under my desk than to be 10 feet away from me in the other room (where we can clearly see each other) with all of his toys, books and puzzles!

I really do love having him close by when I am working, but there are times when I need to take advantage of my newly enclosed office and shut the door!. 

To minimize the interruptions, I made this sign.



Both kids know that when it is up and the door is closed, they are not to bother me unless there is blood or a broken bone.  My daughter gets it, but little brother usually just stands at the door while knocking and yelling "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy.....I need you.....Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, what you doing in there, Mommy, Mommy, let me in".  


In fact, he is climbing on my lap right now trying to shove these fake teeth in my mouth!!  


Oh well, he is growing up so fast and even though it sometimes drives me crazy, I wouldn't have it any other way!  I know that he won't always want to be with my 24/7 and I will long for these days when they are gone.

With all of that being said, I manage to squeeze in a few projects around the house.  It seems that I am better of just doing the projects and not so good at documenting them.  I am fast and furious when I get started.  My OCD, with emphasis on the "O" goes into overdrive and I have to finish it at all costs.  I need the instant gratification of seeing it complete!

 Here are a few things I did get done around my own home in 2012. 

Painted almost the entire downstairs.  

Made progress in the dining room.  It is almost there.

DIY'd a nailhead cornice board with wood we had in the garage!

Updated the art niche with a glitzy paint treatment.

Turned inexpensive bell lanterns from Home Depot into Pottery Barn knock offs.

Started a "white pottery" collection for above my kitchen cabinets.

Painted a custom piece of artwork with my 7 year old daughter.

My husband installed wood floors in the living room.

He also enclosed the front office and added a French door.

Painted my huge oak bookshelves black.

Sewed drapes for the office.

Big sister's room painted and reupholstered her headboard.

A full master bedroom overhaul.

Details and pictures to come.  Stay tuned!









No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your feedback!
Thanks:)